Season of Fasting & Praying Overview
Type of Fast: Progressive Daniel Fast
Duration of the Fast: 21 Days (Jan. 4 – Jan. 24)
Expectations: Our expectation during this fast is for all of us to grow closer and more dependent on God for our lives and ministry! Incorporate everyone in your household. There are spiritual benefits to be gained during this season of fasting. Please spend time reading and praying to make sure you gain all the benefits God has in this season for you and your family. If you can remember 5-15-1 then you have the framework for our fast!
- 5 Days ~ No Sweets
- 15 Days ~ Full Daniel Fast | No Sweets / No Meats / No Breads / Water only
- 1 Day ~ Nothing by mouth until after our worship experience
If you have medical needs, please govern yourself accordingly. Spiritual Feasting. In order to ensure we strengthen our spiritual lives during the fast, each day, we will read passages of scripture! Reach out to someone within our church and ask him or her to read with you!
Here are some food suggestions!
- All fruits. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon and any other fruit you can think of.
- All vegetables. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
- All whole grains & nuts. These can be whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat tortillas, rice cakes, popcorn, sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, and sesame.
- All legumes. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
- Beverages. Spring water, distilled water or other pure juices
Mia’s recipe and snack suggestion: Daniel Fast Sample Recipes
Try to avoid the following if you can:
- All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.
- All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.
- All sweeteners including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.
- All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.
- All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
- All deep fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips.
- All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
- Beverages including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.