Type of Fast: Intimacy with God Duration of the Fast: 14 Days (Oct. 6 – Oct. 19) Expectations: Our expectation during this fast is for all of us to grow closer and more dependent on God for our lives and ministry! If you can remember 5-5-3-1 then you have the framework for our fast!
- 5 Days ~ No Sweets
- 5 Days ~ No Sweets / No Meats
- 3 Days ~ Water / Juices / Smoothies / Broth
- 1 Day ~ Nothing by mouth
If you have medical needs, please govern yourself accordingly. Spiritual Feasting. In order to ensure we strengthen our spiritual lives during the fast, each day, we will read 3 passages of scripture. There will be 1 scripture on MOVE, 1 scripture on BETTER and 1 Scripture on GROW! Reach out to someone within our church and ask him or her to read with you!
Here are some suggestions for the No Sweets / No Meats period!
- All fruits. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon and any other fruit you can think of.
- All vegetables. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
- All whole grains & nuts. These can be whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat tortillas, rice cakes, popcorn, sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, and sesame.
- All legumes. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
- Beverages. Spring water, distilled water or other pure juices